A great tire relearn tool is an important part of any automotive mechanic’s toolkit. A good TPMS relearn tool can tell you instantly if there’s a problem with your tires, saving you hundreds at the mechanic.
However, not all TPMS reset tools offer the same features. Some will offer advanced functions like relearn procedures, new sensor programming, key fob testing and more.
Here, we’ll explore the 8 best TPMS tools currently on the market to help you discover the best model for you.
What Is TPMS & Why is it Important?
Most cars now-a-days have a TPMS, also known as a tire pressure monitoring system. You also may recognize this as the yellow tire pressure sensor on your dashboard. The main job of the TPMS is to monitor your tire pressure and ensure you aren’t driving on under- inflated tires. The top ways drivers can benefit from using a TPMS relearn tool include:
- Extending the lifetime of your tires
- Getting better fuel economy
- Enhancing the overall safety of your vehicle
If you are in the market for a new TPMS activation tool, there are a few things you should take into consideration including the benefits, drawbacks and compatibility of each model. Let’s explore the top 8 performing TPMS tools to help you decide which will work best for you
How We Ranked Our Top Tire Relearn Tools
Every tool we talk about is evaluated with the same set of criteria to ensure we provide the most helpful and accurate information possible. We graded each tire relearn tool using the following criteria:
Reliability – Accurate readings, reliable data, and long lifespans are crucial to tire relearn tools. We prioritized tools with great reputations among DIY and professional mechanics over multiple uses.
Basic vs. advanced features – Not all tire relearn tools have the same ability. We made sure to call out which tools have basic functionality, and which tools include more advanced features.
User-friendliness – We prioritize user-friendliness in all of our reviews. Intuitive design, easy navigation, and clear, easy-to-understand interfaces give tools an edge.
Compatibility – We get into the compatibility of each model and whether it can be used across a range of vehicle makes, models and software.
Top 8 Tire Relearn Tools to Purchase in 2023
With so many TPMS tools available to purchase, it is important to figure out which one will work best for your skill level and car manufacturer. Currently, the best TPMS tools on the market in 2022 include:
- VXDAS EL-50448 TPMS Tool for GM (Editor’s Pick)
- JDIAG 2IN1 EL50448 TPMS Relearn Tool for GM and Ford
- Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 TPMS Programming Tool
- VXSCAN El-50448 Auto TPMS Reset Tool
- ATEQ VT31 TPMS Reset Activation Programmer Tool
- Autel TS408 Handheld TPMS Service Tool
- Autel TS401 TPMS Programming Tool
- Autel MaxiTPMS TS601 TPMS Programming Tool & Scanner
Let’s discuss some of the key pro’s and con’s to each model and explore some of the key features offered.
1. VXDAS EL-50448 TPMS Tool for GM – Editor’s Pick
The VXDAS El-50448 tire pressure sensor tool is a great pick for both professionals and DIY mechanics. It is both affordable and easy to use. Even a beginner user can navigate the ins and outs of this TPMS programming tool because it only takes a click of one button.
Additionally, this TPMS reset tool allows the user to reset all 4 tires in just three easy steps. First, you set up the vehicle to make sure it is able to deliver TPMS information. From there, you can hold the device up against the tires and click the LEARN button to receive more information about the tire information.
Some of the other key features you can find with this tool include:
- Easy to Use: One-click technology to give you a clear read.
- Reliable TPMS tool: This tool is highly reputable and loved by many professional mechanics.
- Well Priced: Priced at under $20, this tool allows you to perform basic TPMS functions easily.
While this product does have quite a few desirable features, it does have one key drawback. Before purchasing this product, you should consider:
- Compatibility: This product is not equipped for all truck and car types. It is best used for GM vehicles. It is recommended that you should double check your vehicle’s compatibility before buying this product.
- Hard to Find: Since this product comes at such a low cost and offers a variety of key features, it frequently sells out and can be difficult to find in stock.
2. JDIAG 2IN1 EL50448 Tire Relearn Tool for GM and Ford
The DDIAG 2in1 EL50448 Relearn Tool is a great option for Ford and GM owners, as this product works best with those brands. However, it is compatible with a number of other car brands as well.
It is also priced reasonably well for both professionals and home mechanics. Let’s talk about some of this tool’s key features including:
- Offers TPMS Reset: This tool offers tire pressure monitor sensor reset and activation. This can be helpful when exchanging tires.
- Easy to Use: This tool uses one-click coverage to reset the TPMS light, making it incredibly intuitive and easy to use.
- Wide Range of Coverage: Though this product works best with both Ford & GM vehicles, it also offers coverage to a wide range of other car brands. Some of these other brands include: Chevrolet, Toyota, Lexus, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda and more.
- Works with Trucks: Unlike some tools on this list, this model works with sedans, SUVs and trucks. Most TPMS reset tools don’t cover trucks, so this could be a useful tool to have in your kit.
Overall, the JDIAG 2in1 EL50448 is a comprehensive TPMS relearn tool that could benefit both DIY home mechanics and more advanced professionals. With an average cost under $25, this product is also extremely affordable.
While the JDIAG 2in1 TPMS Relearn Tool has a lot of benefits, it also comes with some drawbacks. Some cons you should consider before purchasing include:
- Some Compatibility Issues: Before purchasing this model, users should check their VIN with the JDIAG compatibility list. While this tool is widely compatible with car brands found in North America, there are some gaps in coverage.
Hard to Find: Since this product comes at such a low cost and offers a variety of key features, it frequently sells out and can be difficult to find in stock.
3. Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 TPMS Programming Tool
The Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 tire relearn tool outshines the competition with its wide range of features and functions. However, it does come with a much higher price tag. This tool is great for any advanced home mechanic or professional to have in their toolkit.
Some of the key features you should look out for include:
- All TPMS Systems: This scan tool offers coverage to almost every OBDII vehicle on the market.
- Advanced Programming Functions: This tool has the ability to clone and reprogram ID sensors to the vehicles ECU. Instead of just TPMS sensor tests and resets, this tool can also activate the OEM.
- Free Software Updates: Keep your device current with Autel software updates for no additional cost.
- Large Color Screen: This allows for a clear display of sensor information so you can see the exact position of the problem.
- Easy to Use: The Autel Maxi TPMS is easy to handle and can work as a basic sensor activation or a complex diagnostic tool.
The Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 is the perfect tool for advanced home mechanics or professionals. Because of it’s wide range of compatibility and advanced functions, it proves to be useful in almost any repair garage.
Though this device comes with a wide range of unique features and comprehensive vehicle coverage, it does have its drawbacks. Some things to consider before purchasing this tool include:
- High Cost: While most TPMS tools will cost under $50, this tool has a hefty $225 price tag. However, it functions as both an OBD2 scanner and a TPMS tool so it may still be worth the price – just not for a beginner.
- Limited Support: For the few users who had a problem with this device, the support team was not able to help.
4. VXSCAN El-50448 Auto TPMS Reset Tool
The VXSCAN EI-5044 Auto tire relearn tool is a basic and affordable scan tool available for less than $20. Compared to other tools on the market, this product offers a great value for the price. Some of the key features and benefits of this TPMS reset tool include:
- Affordable Tool: You can’t beat the price when looking for a TPMS reset tool
- Great for GM Series Vehicles: Coverage extends to all GM makes and models
- Easy to Use: This TPMS reset tool can help you reset and reprogram your vehicle’s tires in 3 easy steps.
To reset and reprogram your vehicle’s tires, you’ll need to follow the following steps: First, put your vehicle in TPMS learn mode. Then, follow all service procedures and then hold this tool against the wall of your tire sensors. Lastly, click the learn button on the device and you can simply activate and test new tire sensors.
Though this tool’s price may be attractive, it does also have a few drawbacks. Some things you should consider before purchasing the VXSCAN EI-5044 Auto TPMS Reset Tool include:
- Limited Compatibility: While this tool is a great option for GM vehicles, it does not offer a wide range of compatibility outside of that brand.
- Not Updateable: This tool is not updateable and won’t include any additional coverage or features in the future.
5. ATEQ VT31 TPMS Reset Activation Programmer Tool
The ATEQ VT31 TPMS Reset Activation tool is a great option for professional mechanics. This tool is uniquely designed as one of the more universal TPMS reset tools on the market. Though it is usually priced between $100-$200, it comes with a suite of desirable features for mechanics. Some of the key functions of the ATEQ VT31 include:
- Easy to Use: Because this tool uses a one touch interface, it makes it easy to use for any mechanic.
- Saves Money: This tool allows you to avoid costly tire rotation fees and easily reset your TPMS at home.
- Battery Powered: This device is convenient to carry because it doesn’t need to be plugged in to a power source.
- Get More Info: With this tool, you can read about the sensor ID, battery information, and the absolute tire pressure.
Additionally, this tool is compatible with most TPMS equipped vehicles manufactured until 2017.
Though the ATEQ VT31 has a lot of great key features, it also comes with some drawbacks. Some things you should consider before purchasing this tool include:
- Not Updateable: Any vehicle after 2017 is not able to work with this tool.
High Cost: Compared to other TPMS reset tools, the ATEQ VT31 is quite expensive – usually costing between $100-$200.
6. Autel TS408 Handheld Tire Relearn Tool
The Autel TS408 Handheld tire relearn tool is extremely compatible and has the ability to read and activate 98% of all known sensors. This model has a higher price point compared to other TPMS service tools, but also comes with many key functions. Some of the features you should look out for in the Autel TS408 include:
- Easy to Use: This tool uses one-click TPMS readings to provide a user friendly interface.
- Programming Functionality: This tool offers advanced MX and OE sensor programming, unlike many of the other tools on this list.
- Lifetime Update: Autels team will help you keep everything up to date.
- Wide Coverage: TPMS equipped vehicles will pair perfectly with the TS408.
- Advanced Features: This hand-held TPMS Service Tool can read the sensor IDs, give battery life information, as well as tire pressure and tire temperature.
The TS408 by Autel can provide clear reads straight from the engine. Instead of messing with internet code definitions, this tool gives it all to you with a few clicks. Lucky for all users, this device is compatible with a wide range of vehicles. Autel promises that if you own a European, U.S or Asian made vehicle with TPMS, the TS408 will be compatible.
While this tool offers a wide range of features unavailable on other models, it also comes with certain drawbacks. Some considerations you should make before purchasing this Autel model include:
- Cannot Print TPMS Data: This tool lacks the ability to print TPMS data, so it can only be viewed on the device itself.
- Only TPMS/No OBD2: Unlike many tools on this list, the Autel TS408 operates exclusively as a TPMS tool. It has no OBD2 Scanner functions whatsoever.
7. Autel TS401 TPMS Reset Tool
The Autel TS401 TPMS Programming tool comes with a higher price tag compared to other products on this list. Usually, you can find it for sale between $375-$400. However, it offers many functions that the traditional one-touch TPMS scanners cannot. This TPMS scan tool is best suited for professionals or advanced home mechanics that want to take advantage of the extra features. Some of these features include:
- Easy to Use: With a user-friendly format, anybody can figure this tool out.
- Reliable: Autel promises efficiency and warranty on all products.
- 4 System Sensors: The TS401 can receive vehicle information feedback from 4 different sensors on your car. This means that you can get the sensor ID, tire pressure, battery information, and temperature from the tires.
- Lifetime Updates: Your tool can stay up to date with online software updates as well as a 1-year warranty.
- Additional Advanced Features: Autel TS401 could wirelessly activate any known OEM / Universal TPMS sensors to access the fault TPMS sensors.
Additionally, this tool can be compatible with just about any TPMS vehicle manufactured after 2006.
While this tool does have a long list of advanced features unlike most TPMS scan tools, it does have drawbacks. Some of the cons you should consider before purchasing include:
- Cannot Read & Clear Codes Without OBD2: This device does not come with an OBD2 cable that allows you to read and clear codes.
- Cost: With a hefty $400 price tag, you’ll have to weigh the advanced features with the price
8. Autel MaxiTPMS TS601 Tire Relearn Tool & Scanner
The Autel MaxiTPMS TS601 is a great model for professional mechanics. Usually, this tool will cost around $350, but it is more than just a classic TPMS Diagnostic Tool. It also fully functions as an OBD2 scanner. Some of the unique features to look out for include:
- Read DTCs: This tool can read diagnostic trouble codes as well as perform the traditional TPMS programming tool functions.
- Live Data: With the Autel MaxiTPMS TS601, you can get a clear view of live data in real time.
- Other Advanced Functions: In addition to functioning as an OBD2 scan tool, you can program Autel MX sensors, capture freeze frame data about your car’s functions and diagnose core issues with your vehicle.
This tool is perfect for a professional mechanic that wants a tool that can perform both TPMS and OBD2 functions. Overall, the large price tag might make it worth your while.
While this scanner has plenty of advanced functions and features, it also has its drawbacks. Some key considerations you should make before purchasing this tool include:
- Some Quirks with Function: Unfortunately, this tool does not have a very intuitive interface. Not all functions will come easily to use.
- Limited Compatibility: While this TPMS scan tool offers a wide range of functions, it has limited vehicle compatibility. This tool only works with Ford, VW, Audi, Benz and GM vehicles.
Frequently Asked Questions
While many places sell TPMS relearn tools, we usually suggest purchasing directly through Amazon. They have the widest selection of TPMS relearn tools as well as offer great information on compatibility and advanced features.
If you are a home mechanic or professional, a TPMS scan tool is necessary for your toolkit. It opens up a wide range of functions when it comes to your vehicle’s tires and can help save you a trip to the repair shop.
Most of these tools will work on aftermarket or OEM sensors. More than likely, if the tool offers a relearn mode, you’ll be able to reset aftermarket TPMS sensors easily.
Get Reliable TPMS and OBD2 Reviews with OBD Station
With so many new tire relearn tools on the market, it can be hard to determine which one is right for you. Whether you’re a home mechanic or professional, you need a reliable source for product reviews when looking to buy a new tool.
Luckily, OBD Station offers up to date and reliable reviews on a wide range of OBD2 and TPMS scan tools. For more reviews, you can check out our top OBD2 scanners review or check out our blog.