With so many scanners on the market today, you’ll want to make sure you’re using the proper automotive diagnostic tool for your vehicle. To make the buying process even easier, OBD Station has compiled a list of the best Toyota scan tools for your vehicle. Read on for the key benefits and drawbacks of the top Toyota scan tools on the market.
- 1 How We Rated Each Toyota Scan Tool
- 2 The Top 7 OBD Toyota Scan Tools For Your Vehicle
- 2.1 1. Autel AL319 OBD2 Code Reader – Editor’s Pick
- 2.2 2. Carista OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner
- 2.3 3. Actron CP9690 Elite OBD1 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
- 2.4 4. LAUNCH CRP3008 OBDII Code Reader
- 2.5 5. Innova 3140g OBD1 OBD2 Scan Tool
- 2.6 6. Innova 31703 OBD1&2 Scanning Tool
- 2.7 7. Carly OBD2 Scanner
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Getting High Quality OBD Scanner Reviews Through OBD2 Station
- 5 Related Reading:
How We Rated Each Toyota Scan Tool
In this review, we’ve tested and rated 7 different Toyota diagnostic scan tools. To ensure each tool is measured the same way, we evaluated each tool against the following criteria:
Toyota compatibility – All of these tools are compatible with Toyota vehicles. Furthermore, we evaluated each tool based on its ability to provide accurate, valuable information about Toyota vehicles.
Key features – We compared each tool against each other and ranked them in terms of overall usefulness and value-added.
User-friendliness – We hold overall ease of use and convenience in especially high regard. We made sure to call out which tools are easy to operate for home mechanics and which ones are best left to the professionals.
Overall value – We considered price and overall utility when ranking each tool to ensure you get the best value for your money.
The Top 7 OBD Toyota Scan Tools For Your Vehicle
With so many different car diagnostic tools on the market compatible with Toyota vehicles, you have a lot of options to choose from.
However, all of these tools have varying benefits and drawbacks. Some models will function exclusively as a trouble code reader, while others will have advanced features like ECU programming, Bluetooth connectivity and more.
The top Toyota scan tools on the market today include:
- Autel AL319 OBD2 Code Reader (Editor’s Pick)
- Carista OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner
- Actron CP9690 Elite OBD1 OBD2 Scanner
- LAUNCH CRP3008 OBDII Code Reader
- Innova 3140g OBD1 OBD2 Scan Tool
- Innova 31703 OBD1&2 Scanning Tool
- Carly OBD2 Scanner
Let’s explore some of the key differences between these models including features, drawbacks, and automotive compatibility.
1. Autel AL319 OBD2 Code Reader – Editor’s Pick
Autel calls this device a “plug and play” scanner because it is so simple to use, even for beginner mechanics. With a large screen and speaker, this device gives you visual and audible cues about I/M readiness, emissions, and other additional features. Some of the top features on the Autel AL319 OBD2 Code Reader include:
- Reliable: Autel is a company notorious for their well-built, easy-to-use diagnostic tools.
- Updateable: With the purchase, you receive a lifetime of free updates which will keep information current and accurate.
- ¨Plug and Play¨: Even a beginner user can navigate the easy interface of this device, plug it in and begin diagnosis.
- Does what it says it will: Dependable and accurate information from the Autel team that ensures results.
In addition to some of the key features, this model is a great option for professionals and DIY mechanics alike. With a low price point and a one-year warranty, this OBD2 scanner can perform just as well as some professional models.
Though this model is high quality, it does come with its own drawbacks. The major downsides to this product include:
- Compatibility: Though this model performs well on Toyota vehicles, it cannot operate on the OBD1 system. If you have a car manufactured before 1996, this code reader won’t work well on your car.
- Short Cord: It is recommended to purchase the extension cord so you won’t be stuck under your vehicle during diagnostics, as the connector on this model is rather short.
2. Carista OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner
The Carista OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner is a great option for people with Toyota vehicles. It offers coverage on a wide range of vehicles and has an affordable price tag. Additionally, with Carista you have basic OBD2 functionality all within the confines of an application. This bluetooth device is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Let’s take a look at some of the other top features of this product:
- Handheld: Don’t worry about handling any wires or cords, with Carista you have the tools you need on your mobile device
- Compact: With Carista all the tools you need for car diagnosis can fit inside your glove box
- Customize settings: Uncover hidden features of your car while making it comfortable and special to your liking.
In addition to the customizable settings, this model also allows you to perform service resets like shut off your check engine light, reset your SAS system, and more. Plus discover the meaning of the engine fault codes in clear English terminology.
While this model comes with a range of desirable features, there are also a few drawbacks. Before purchasing this model, you should take these cons into consideration:
- Additional Cost for App and Features: You think you are getting a deal for $20, but that only covers the cost of the adapter.
Compatibility: The Advanced features and customizable functions are only available for select models of cars, including Toyota. That’s why this is one of the best Toyota OBD software. Carista also works with Audi, BMW, Lexus, Nissan, Scions, Infinitis, and Mini Coopers.
3. Actron CP9690 Elite OBD1 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
The Actron CP9690 may seem expensive for the average home mechanic, but it is a high quality full system diagnostic software with a wide range of compatibility. Some more enhanced features include reading and clearing manufacturer specific codes, which is great for Toyota engines.
In addition to these advanced features, this model offers other desirable key features including:
- CodeConnect: A great way to connect with technicians who have repair solutions.
- User-Friendly Interface: with a large screen and hotkeys, this device is easy to navigate.
- Updateable: You don’t have to worry about your device losing its purpose, with continual software updates you can keep diagnostics accurate.
You will also be able to graph live data, look back at previously stored vehicle data, have access to ABS and Airbag display and receive top solutions for repairs. So, this Toyota scan tool has advanced features that could benefit both professionals and DIYers alike.
Though the Actron CP9690 Elite is a great fit for mechanics of any skill level, it does have some drawbacks. Before purchasing this model, you should consider:
- Not always compatible: For older OBD1 vehicles, it’s always difficult to find a scanner whose functions work with all cars, Actron can’t guarantee compatibility. As well as Toyota, this scan tool is compatible with Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, Chrysler, BMW, and Hyundai vehicles for most features.
- The Cost: While the cost of this model is reasonable compared to professional models, there are many more low cost options available with similar features.
4. LAUNCH CRP3008 OBDII Code Reader
The Launch CRP3008 OBDII Code Reader is the ideal code reader for DIYers and professionals. This is an enhanced automotive tool that will make car diagnostics a breeze. With this device, you will have access to the most common engine codes and the ability to turn off the MIL. Additionally, you can check the oxygen sensor, the EVAP system, and read VIN information from your car.
Some of the other benefits of using this model include features like:
- Simple to Use: With an Economic and unique design, this code reader is great for even beginners.
- Reliable: The launch team is well-known for its products and customer support.
- Updateable: No worrying about your code reader going obsolete, this device promises a lifetime of updates.
Additionally, this model includes more than 3100 DTC codes accompanied by their definitions with the ability to print any car diagnosis you wish.
While this model has a lot of benefits, it also comes with a few drawbacks. Some of the cons to consider before purchasing this tool include:
- Advanced: No ABS/SRS functions
- Compatibility: While this model offers compatibility for most Toyota vehicles manufactured after 1996, it is not compatible with some OBD1 systems.
5. Innova 3140g OBD1 OBD2 Scan Tool
The Innova 3140g OBD Scan Tool offers a wide range of functions and is an extremely versatile product. It’s an OBD1 and an OBD2 scan tool that can read and clear check engine lights, record live data, diagnose engine codes, check ABS or SRS lights, TPMs systems, and help with oil reset, battery reset, and system calibration.
Some of the other key feature of this scan tool include:
- Bluetooth Technology: Go hands free and get detailed codes straight to your phone
- OBD1 and OBD2 compatibility: If you have an older Toyota, this device can read both sets of codes.
- Oil reset: not all scan tools come equipped to reset the engine light, this tool is an exception
- User-friendly: Even though its an advanced tool, any user can figure out how to use it.
- Repair Help: with RepairSolutions, you have virtual technicians at your disposal.
For the wide range of compatibility and versatility, this product is an extremely great deal for the price. Any professional or DIY mechanic would be lucky to have this product in their toolkit.
Though the Innova 3140g Scan Tool has a wide range of benefits, it also comes with drawbacks. Some cons you should consider before purchasing this product include:
- Not Updateable: After a certain point, this device becomes obsolete for certain vehicles.
- Lack of Compatibility: Although Innova claims they have a wide coverage for certain makes and models, this device doesn’t function for everyone. You should double check with Innova to ensure this car covers your make and model.
6. Innova 31703 OBD1&2 Scanning Tool
The Innova 31703 OBD Scanning Tool has a wide range of features and a price point suitable for both DIY and professional mechanics. The setup looks more like a futuristic touch screen mobile device than an auto scanner. Some of the other key features of this particular tool include:
- Easy-to-navigate: With a large display screen and keys that lead exactly where you need, even a beginner can use this tool.
- RepairSolutions: All Innova devices come with access to RepairSolutions to help assist you during reparations.
- Engine and Transmission Codes: You are not limited to just engine codes, you will also be able to read and clear Transmission codes.
This tool is extremely compatible. It works on all Toyota makes & models manufactured after 1996 including the Yaris, Prius, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, and more. Additionally, it offers coverage for both the OBD1 and OBD2 systems.
While this product offers a wide range of compatibility and functions, it does come with its own individual drawbacks. Some of the cons you should consider before purchasing include:
- Monthly Membership Fees: In order to gain access to all the information you need, Innova charges a fee.
Hard to Find: This model frequently sells out and can be difficult to find in-stock.
7. Carly OBD2 Scanner
The Carly OBD2 Scanner is a great Toyota scan tool for a DIY mechanic. It offers a lot of important functions, like the ability to read all ECUs for Toyota models and provide real-time data about your car diagnostics. Additionally, since Carly uses manufacturer specific features, you will get the same results with the Carly device as you would at the Toyota dealership.
In addition to those functions, this model has some other key features worth noting, including:
- Handsfree: Diagnose your car from your smartphone.
- ECU: Offer both basic and advanced diagnostics
- Easy To Read: This model offers easy to read codes and the ability for all users to comprehend them.
- Lifetime Warranty: This is the only OBD scanner on the list that has a lifetime warranty. If you have any issues with this product, you can contact Carly directly to get a replacement.
Similar to Carista, this is a hands free adapter that works with an application on your mobile device to run car diagnosis. It works with both Androids and iPhones and can connect to your phone via bluetooth.
Even though the Carly OBD2 Scanner comes with a wide range of features and functions, it also has its drawbacks. Before purchasing this model, you should consider the following:
- Additional Costs: Every person who wants to access diagnostic codes must pay the additional costs for the application.
- Unclear Directions: The support team and the website are written poorly so it is of no use.
- Compatibility: For older makes and models, this device is not compatible. The Carly OBD2 Scanner works with Toyota vehicles from 2005 and newer.
Frequently Asked Questions
All of the Toyota scan tools listed above are great options for your vehicle. While all of the OBD scanners on this list will offer coverage for all Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles manufactured before 1996. However, our pick from this list is the Autel AL319 OBD2 Code Reader.
For the most part, if your vehicle was manufactured after 1996, it will run on the OBD2 system. However, you can also check the sticker or name plate under the hood to determine which system your car runs on.
For the average person, an OBD scanner is not a necessary tool to have laying around. However, both DIY and professional mechanics benefit from having a high quality and versatile scan tool in their toolkit.
No – not all scanners need to be connected to WiFi.
Yes – all of the scanners on this list will work for most Toyota makes and models including the Prius.
The easiest place to purchase these tools is Amazon. With a wide selection and quick shipping, you’ll be able to get the right scanner for your vehicles in no time.
Getting High Quality OBD Scanner Reviews Through OBD2 Station
Finding reliable product reviews can be difficult when it comes to OBD Scanners and other car products. However, OBD Station guarantees comprehensive and honest reviews that can help you select the best products for your car make and model. Explore our wide variety of OBD2 scan tool reviews and other blog posts to help keep you up to date with news in the car industry.