- 1 The Real Test – How Good Is FIXD at diagnosing car problems?
- 2 FIXD Diagnosed Every Issue BEFORE It Became A Big Problem
- 3 Can FIXD Truly Diagnose Every Problem Your Vehicle Faces?
- 4 It Kept All My Cars Trouble Free And In Top Condition
- 5 But How Do You Use FIXD?
- 6 Key Details About FIXD
- 7 FIXD Review: Capabilities and Functions
- 8 FIXD Pros and Cons
- 9 FIXD Review: Pricing
- 10 FIXD Maintenance Club
- 11 Where YOU Can Find FIXD
- 12 Is There Any Downside To FIXD?
- 13 Does FIXD Really Work?
- 14 Final Thoughts
Few things are as annoying as having that stubborn check engine light switch on without knowing how to turn it off again. I’ve heard about FIXD multiple times, so when the opportunity arose to do this FIXD car diagnostic review, I had to give it a try.
If you’re asking, “What is FIXD?” let me clear that up for you. This nifty tool is an OBD scanner that allows you to run car diagnostics using a mobile device.
My job is testing and reporting on the latest automobile technology. And when it comes to tech that diagnoses car problems, I’ve tested almost every product on the market.
When everyone thinks of OBD scanners, they assume they’re all the same. Plug it in your car and cross your fingers that it actually diagnoses what’s wrong with your vehicle. And unfortunately, they often don’t.
So, when my company asked me to review the brand new FIXD OBD2 Scanner, I wasn’t too excited.
“I thought. “I’ve tried so many of these tiny OBD scanners with little success. Here we go again.”
But this time – I couldn’t have been more wrong.
That morning, the package arrived with the brand-new FIXD OBD Scanner inside for me to review. I opened the box and was immediately impressed with what I saw.
With some OBD scanners, you can tell they’re just like every other clunky scanner out there, but FIXD is the exact opposite. It’s small and compact, but has that satisfying weight you experience when holding a premium device like a flagship smartphone. I could immediately see it’s built to last, and it came with a textured, woven travel case so you can easily store or travel with it.
It was definitely the most premium-looking OBD scanner I’d seen, so I really hoped that FIXD would function just as well as it looked. But because all the other OBD scanners I’d tested had been so mediocre, I tried not to get too excited.
So far, FIXD had checked all the right boxes, but come on – the real test was how well it could diagnose any car problems you may have.
The Real Test – How Good Is FIXD at diagnosing car problems?
I studied all the specs and discovered that FIXD incorporates some of the newest technical advances. That’s when I started to get excited.
Unlike other OBD scanners, FIXD analyses 2 million more data points inside your cars, enabling it to instantly diagnose over 7000 different problems. That’s 2000 more problems than the next best professional scanner! The potential benefits of this new tech were huge.
“This is no ordinary portable OBD scanner. FIXD’s advanced diagnostic technology puts it leagues ahead of other scanners on the market.”
But that’s not the only big feature that sets FIXD apart. This scanner also has the possibility to diagnose every single problem in real-time. How so? Unlike most other scanners, you can attach FIXD to your OBD port under the dashboard and leave it in there 24/7, allowing constant monitoring of every detail around the clock.
This is a game-changer! But even then, it STILL has another feature that really makes FIXD something out of the ordinary – it pairs with your smartphone…
Instead of spewing out hard-to-decipher codes like most old school scanners, FIXD instantly alerts your smartphone when it senses a problem, explaining the issue in plain English. It even tells you how to fix the issue & provide a cost estimate.
Trust me, as someone who works on cars day-in-day-out, this one feature alone makes FIXD an absolute godsend. You can even connect multiple FIXD devices to one phone, so you can monitor every car in your household!
So, I put this thing to the test, attaching it to a car I knew had numerous problems. And within seconds of plugging it under the dashboard, it alerted me of every single problem I knew about – and some I didn’t!
Not only that, the alerts it gave were so easy to understand, it felt like I was being told advice by a mechanic (without being fleeced for the privilege), and as someone who knows a lot about cars, I was incredibly impressed – my wife could understand the advice FIXD gave just as well as I could.
FIXD worked fantastic out of the box, but how did it work over time? I did a 3 month-long test to find out…
FIXD Diagnosed Every Issue BEFORE It Became A Big Problem
I popped it in an 8-year-old Honda Civic (FIXD works in any car after 1996) and used it as my daily drive. FIXD monitored everything, telling me there were no issues until the 42nd day, when an alert popped up telling me to replace the spark plugs. It alerted me before the “check engine” light even appeared on my car!
To have something that monitors every aspect of your car round the clock is simply fantastic and could get you out of so many tricky situations. Not to mention it’s a great way to avoid getting stung by crafty mechanics. It felt like I’d given my very ordinary car special AI capabilities under the hood.
I don’t use this term often, but the FIXD OBD scanner is simply AMAZING.
Can FIXD Truly Diagnose Every Problem Your Vehicle Faces?
The simple answer to this question is no. No device or OBD scanner can diagnose every possible vehicle issue.
That’s not how our cars work. Neither do the manufacturers of the FIXD sensor and app claim that they can diagnose every vehicle problem. That said, the sensor can diagnose an impressive 7,000 different issues.
While that doesn’t cover every possible scenario, it’s 7,000 fewer problems to worry about. It covers most of the typical mechanical and diagnostic issues and saves money while doing it.
What Do Other People Have to Say About FIXD?
Well, you’ve already seen that I can’t sing this device’s praises enough, it wouldn’t be fair not to look at what other car owners have to say about this tool.
The only way to do this successfully is to check FIXD app reviews to find out what they have to say about questions like “Is FIXD legitimate?” and “Does FIXD Work?”
The first thing that comes to my attention is that there are over 10,000 5-star FIXD user reviews.
Things get more complicated when you start heading to sites like TrustPilot. While I personally loved the device, and 69% of the TrustPilot reviews are five-star, that still means that 31% of users were not pleased with this tool.
It has an overall TrustPilot rating of only 2.9, which translates to an average rating on the site’s internal grading scale.
Amazon ratings display a similar dichotomy, with 60% of reviews being five-star and only 12% being one-star.
While I’d have loved to see a full range of five-star and four-star reviews, this is rarely the case. Different users have different experiences with the same device; no matter how simple, some people need help to use tech appropriately.
Furthermore, even the best companies sometimes have a problematic product. Not every single item that they produce will always work 100%.
I think the sheer volume of positive FIXD reviews speaks for itself about the quality of this device.
It Kept All My Cars Trouble Free And In Top Condition
With its super-simple setup, round-the-clock monitoring, real-time problem solving, and ability to pair with any Android or Apple smartphone in real-time – FIXD has everything you could want in an OBD scanner, and whole lot more. It’s like they saw all the problems other scanners have and built something entirely new that solves every issue. But wait…
I can hear the questions now… how much could this thing save me?
Well, considering the average repair bill costs between 800-1200, and with 63% of people saying they’ve felt ripped off by a mechanic before, this one little device could potentially save you thousands. And as it diagnoses 2000 more problems than any other scanner, it puts you in the perfect position to save big.
“FIXD is a win-win situation. The price is amazing, it’s incredibly easy to use, and it diagnoses more problems than any other scanner.“
Usually, I have to send back my review samples, but I wanted to keep FIXD for myself, so I could ensure all my cars run like clockwork without a hitch. So I paid the money and kept it.
ZERO regrets! After weighing the FIXD pros and cons, I wholeheartedly give FIXD a massive THUMBS UP!
But How Do You Use FIXD?
The FIXD app and sensor are easy to use, and just about anyone can use them without difficulty. However, if you’re not mechanically inclined, you may need a step-by-step guide; here it is.
I’ll walk you through the process of installing your FIXD sensor.
Step 1 – Install the App
Before you can do anything with your FIXD car sensor, you need to install the app on your mobile device. At this stage, the app is only available for iOS and Android users, so ensure you have a compatible device.
It’s worth noting that the application only works on:
- iPhones and iPads that have operating systems 14 or higher.
- Android phones using version 4.4 or higher.
If your phone meets these specifications, go ahead and download the application from the Google Play Store or apple app store.
Step 2 – Activate Bluetooth and Register Account
Turn on your phone’s Bluetooth without pairing it to the FIXD car sensor. Once you complete the registration process, the application will automatically link to your sensor.
Next, open the app and register an account. It’s quick and easy and should take five to ten minutes at most.
After registration, choose the vehicle repair or maintenance service you want. When prompted, select “I have a “FIXD sensor.”
On the back of your sensor is a sensor code, which you’ll need to input into the app.
Step 3 – Installing and Using the Sensor
Once you’ve set up the sensor, so it works with the app, switch on your vehicle. Leave the car on and look for the OBD II Port beneath the steering wheel. It should be slightly to the left and all the right, and you may need to exit the vehicle to see it.
Once you find the OBD II port, plug your FIXD sensor into it. The sensor should have a blue flashing light indicator that the device has power. If there’s no blue flashing light, there may be a problem with either the sensor or your car’s ability to run it.
Assuming that all is well, you can now use the FIXD app to scan for your sensor. Once it locates your sensor, click on ‘I found it’ and enter your car’s VIN number, as well as a name for your vehicle.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully set up your FIXD car sensor. Now you can use the app to run full diagnostics (even on multiple cars) and solve your car issues.
Step 4 – Running a Diagnostics Test
Now that you’ve synced your FIXD app and sensor, you can run your first diagnostic test. To get started, open your FIXD app, and click on ‘tap to scan.’
It will run a comprehensive test, checking all the elements connected to the OBD ii port. The scan will return all the error codes that might affect the check engine light and some that won’t.
Even if you’re not mechanically inclined, you can rest easy because the app will convert any error codes into a plain-speech version that everyone can understand.
One significant aspect of the app and test is that it automatically categorizes problems by severity. It will show you the worst issues (those most likely to stop your car from working) first and then the others.
You can get cost estimates and confirmed fixes, but only if you’re a premium service member. Free members have access to all the suggested fixes, which is usually sufficient. However, the cost estimates could be helpful if you’re managing multiple vehicles.
Now you’re officially prepared to manage all your vehicles, however many they may be. If you activate push notifications and leave the sensor in your car, it will give you constant updates whenever something happens to your vehicle.
Key Details About FIXD
- DIAGNOSES MORE PROBLEMS THAN ANY SCANNER – Over 7000 problems – 2000 more than the next best OBD scanner. In my opinion, this alone is worth the purchase.
- WORKS ROUND THE CLOCK – I never have to worry about an unknown car issue on the road when I’m far from home. FIXD is always with me, always checking, and always ready to diagnose any issue.
- PAIRS TO ANY APPLE OR ANDROID SMARTPHONE – Connect to any compatible smartphone out of the box in under 30 seconds. Then plug it into your car. It really couldn’t be simpler.
- GIVES ACTIONABLE ADVICE IN PLAIN ENGLISH – Unlike other scanners that are so difficult to read, the advice FIXD gives is always so easy to understand. Finally! (other scanners take note)
- WORKS IN ANY CAR AFTER 1996 – Yep, you can use it in any car built within the last 24 years, making this scanner incredibly versatile.
- AMAZING VALUE – You will be so happy with FIXD that you’ll want to order two or three to give to friends and family members to use in their cars. And with such a great price, you’ll be able to afford them easily.
- CAST-IRON MONEY-BACK-GUARANTEE – If for any reason you think FIXD isn’t for you, just send it back within 30 days and get a full refund, no questions asked.
FIXD Review: Capabilities and Functions
FIXD sensors have a wide array of capabilities, making them ideal for everyone from car owners to mechanics and care technicians. I was immensely impressed by the sheer number of tools packed into this tiny device.
Some of this machine’s manifold abilities include:
- Decoding the Check Engine Light – Now you can know why to check your engine, not just that you should. The FIXD app displays and identifies error codes, gives readings about why the check engine light is on, and may even show underlying causes.
- Tracking Engine Oil Temperature – The FIXD sensor keeps track of the oil temperature, so you don’t have to. As soon as the temperature starts entering unsafe or unusual levels, you’ll get an alert.
- Identifying Problems and Potential Problems: According to the company that manufactures the FIXD device, this handy tool can identify nearly 7,000 different problems.
- Clearing Dashboard Lights: Whether it’s that pesky check engine light, the ABS light, or the airbag light, the nifty FIXD sensor can help to deactivate it.
- Maintenance Reminders: The FIXD app works with the FIXD automotive sensors to enable mileage detection. The app then keeps you updated on when you should perform maintenance and what kind. FIXD is linked to all the major car manufacturers and can tell you their recommended maintenance timeline.
- Preparing for the State Emissions Test – if you need to take your vehicle for the state emissions test, the FIXD sensor can also help. The FIXD emissions pretest is only available to premium members but can save time and money. This tool tests all your emissions to ensure that they’re within legal limits, so you know you’ll pass the emissions test the first time.
- It makes things easy to understand – one of this tool’s most remarkable abilities is the way it translates problems and error codes into simple, understandable language that anyone can comprehend. I loved that my wife, who isn’t mechanically inclined, could easily understand the app’s instructions.
FIXD Pros and Cons
As with any tool, the FIXD device could be better. While it’s a fantastic tool in many ways, it has shortcomings.
Let’s take a closer look at some of this tool’s fantastic and not-so-wonderful aspects.
- The sensors are incredibly affordable.
- You can easily buy FIXD products from the most popular online storefronts or the FIXD website.
- The main tools in the FIXD toolbox are available to anyone with the sensors and application.
- The tool is incredibly versatile and can give feedback on everything, from whether the gas cap is closed to why the check engine light is on.
- It saves money by cutting down on mechanic fees.
- It translates complex problems into terms that are easy to understand.
- FIXD works with all US car models (fuel-based) released after 1996 and international car models released after 2006
- You can monitor multiple cars at once.
- The FIXD app only works on Android and iOS devices, specifically those above a particular operating system level.
- Many of the application’s most comprehensive features are only available to premium users.
- While it can detect over 7000 vehicle problems, there are some that it can’t.
As you can see, this device’s advantages far outweigh its disadvantages. If you’ve been asking, “Does FIXD work?” the answer is a resounding yes.
From helping you monitor stability control to reminding you about auto-renewals and being an excellent all-around OBD II code reader, there’s little about FIXD that I wouldn’t recommend.
FIXD Review: Pricing
While I’ve already mentioned that the FIXD cost is pretty low for the sensor, there are additional options and fees to consider.
Let’s start at the top. The FIXD sensor will cost you around $20 to $60. You can even pick up a special offer with three FIXD sensors for a discounted price.
After you purchase the device, you don’t have to pay anything more. You can easily stay on the basic version and use the free app for as long as you like.
As for me, I like the extras, so I found the premium subscription appealing. The subscription is only $69.99 a year and offers you plenty of bonuses, like the following:
- Cost estimates for parts and repairs you need
- Access to on-call mechanics
- Arrange to have your car fixed at your home
- Assistance with DIY repairs and maintenance
- Detailed engine diagnostics
- A forecast of probable future issues
- Emissions pre-check
FIXD Vehicle Protection Plans
FIXD offers vehicle protection plans, which provide additional benefits to help keep your car safe and deal with day-to-day problems. It’s similar in nature to AAA memberships or the programs offered by car manufacturers.
You can pay for roadside assistance at $49 monthly or a key replacement plan at $69.
The titanium vehicle protection plan gives you all these things along with:
- Windshield protection
- Tire and wheel protection
- Ding repair
FIXD Maintenance Club
Another optional extra is the FIXD Maintenance Club. This service allows you to use the FIXD app and sensor to identify your vehicle’s problems and then fix them.
Whether the check engine light keeps coming on or your oxygen sensor has failed, FIXD will give you the code or technical description of the problem.
Instead of taking your vehicle to one of the approved garages or mechanics and having them fix the problem, you’ll do it yourself.
Through the maintenance Club, FIXD will send you all the parts you need to do the repairs yourself, along with detailed instructions.
Maintenance club membership is free, but you will have to pay for parts. You can schedule part shipments to arrive when it suits you best, so you’re sure you’re around to receive the package.
As someone who works on cars for a living, I love the idea of an OBD sensor that enables you to do more car repairs yourself. Few things are as frustrating as trying to find a car part that no one sees to have in stock. The FIXD maintenance plan removes that problem by accessing its massive network of car supplies.
Since they have access to so many parts suppliers and mechanics, FIXD can generally also offer you a good price when you need to have something done.
Where YOU Can Find FIXD
Now that you have heard about this wonderful device, you’re probably ready to download the FIXD app and analyze that check engine light.
Let’s take a quick look at where you can find both the app and the sensors.
The FIXD app is easy to find, and you can download it from either Google Play Store or the Apple app store. Or, if you prefer, you can also download it via the FIXD website. Downloading and installing the app is free though you may have to pay for optional extras if you want any.
The sensors are also readily available. While they sent me one directly for review purposes, I ended up paying for mine on the FIXD website so that I could keep it. However, you can order it via several online retailers, including Amazon.
If you want to take advantage of the best possible special offers on the FIXD sensor, I’d highly recommend buying directly from the manufacturer. Often, you can order these devices at a steal compared to the marked-up prices on other online storefronts.
Is There Any Downside To FIXD?
YES, the “downside” is that they are selling like crazy. Thousands and thousands of units per week. They have sold 1.5 million units since they launched, and for a good reason. This device matches the functionality of $2,000+ devices for less than $100!
Does FIXD Really Work?
After looking at the results of my own FIXD OBD2 review and checking for the most common FIXD app review feedback, I have to say yes.
Not only is FIXD legit, but it works well at a fraction of the cost of professional diagnostic testing. If you’re looking for an affordable car management solution, FIXD is the way to go.
During this FIXD review, I’ve looked at almost every aspect of this device. From the pros and cons to the optional extras, all the way to what other people have to say about the tool.
Well, there are some mixed emotions where online reviews are concerned. However, the average review agrees that this device is an invaluable tool in any vehicle owner’s toolbox.
Because the device is so affordable and translates error codes into simple and understandable terms, it saves money. You can now take your vehicle to a mechanic and tell them precisely what is wrong. That means no more misdiagnoses and paying for parts that you don’t need.
The only real disadvantage of the FIXD companion app is that it only works on some operating systems. You can’t access this application if you own a Blackberry or a Windows-based mobile.
Apart from that, I really couldn’t recommend this device more. The services available on the free version of the application are more than sufficient to meet the needs of the average motorist. If you require any premium functions, they’re readily available and quite affordable.