Volvo cars are known for their safety and reliability. However, even the most durable of cars breaks down from time to time. Adding an OBD2 scanner for Volvo to your toolbox can help you diagnose and repair minor issues yourself, saving you both time and money at the mechanic.
In this article, I’ll review the top 10 car diagnostic tools to find the best Volvo scan tool for your vehicle.
How I Ranked And Reviewed the Top Volvo Scan Tools
To make the best recommendations for OBD2 tools, I evaluate each Volvo scanner against a rigid set of criteria. Each of the following tools was tested against the following qualities:
Compatibility – Every scan tool in this list is compatible with Volvo vehicles, so every reading is reliable and accurate.
Features – We make sure to call out the strengths and weaknesses of each tool so you can prioritize the features you need most.
User-friendliness – Ease of use is an important quality in any tool for DIY and professional mechanics alike. So, user-friendly tools have an edge in my reviews.
Quality – I want to make sure you get the most value for your money. Each tool in this review is designed for the long haul, so you don’t have to worry about buying another scan tool for years.
Comparison Chart: My Top 3 OBD2 Scanners for Volvo
iCarsoft VOL II
4.6 / 5
4.1 / 5
4.2 / 5
|Product Dimensions||1.5" x 0.5" x 1.8"||10.2 x 7.5 x 2.6||9.7 x 9.7 x 1.4 inches|
|Read & Clear Codes||✔️||✔️||✔️|
The 10 Best Volvo Scan Tools of 2023
In this review, you will learn about the following scanners:
- FIXD™ OBD2 Scanner – Editor’s Pick
- iCarsoft VOL II OBD-II Diagnostic Tool
- Autophix ES610 OBD2 Scan Tool
- iCarsoft I906 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner.
- OTR Performance 1999-2013 Heavy Truck Tool
- Autel MS309 Universal OBD ii Engine Code Reader
- LAUNCH CRP123X OBD2 Car Scan Tool
- Ancel AD310 Scanner
- BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner
- OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scanner
1. FIXD™ OBD2 Scanner – Editor’s Pick
FIXD™ is a leading name when it comes to Volvo diagnostic tools. This scanner from the company offers the following features:
- OBDII Functions: It offers all the major OBD functions, including O2 sensor test, data stream, I/M readiness, read and clear trouble codes, VIN, live data, and DTC.
- System Diagnosis: This Volvo scan tool can scan some of the most important systems, including your ECU, check engine light, tpms, transmission, airbag, SRS, and ABS.
- Special Functions: This is one of the few Volvo diagnostic tools that offer an electronic parking brake (EPB), diesel particulate filter (DPF), battery management system (BMS), steering angle sensor (SAS), ABS bleeding, injector coding, and oil service reset.
- Vehicle Support: It supports Volvo models manufactured between 2005 and 2017. In addition to this, it works on 2005 – 2017 Saab models and some other brands like Mercedes.
- Real-time cost estimates.
- 24/7 car health monitoring.
- Under $100
- Up to 50% discount available at the official website.
- Often sold out
Many consider the FIXD™ OBD2 Scanner for Volvo/SAAB the best Volvo OBDII scan tool as it’s a complete unit. It can read almost all the systems and works fast as well.Learn More
2. iCarsoft VOL II OBD-II Diagnostic Tool
iCarsoft Volvo code reader is back on the list since it’s one of the leading companies making diagnostic tools. Our second pick is also quite impressive. It offers:
- OBD-II Functions: Like our previous version, this one also offers all major OBD functions such as O2 sensor test, I/M readiness, data stream, read and clear trouble codes, live data, VIN, and DTC.
- System Diagnosis: Expect to be able to scan all major systems, including ABS, engine, transmission, SRS, and airbag.
- Special Functions: This is as good as our first pick as it can also perform the following: electronic parking brake (EPB), battery management system (BMS), diesel particulate filter (DPF), steering angle sensor (SAS), injector coding, oil reset, and ABS bleeding.
- Vehicle Support: It supports 2005 and 2014 Volvo and Saab models.
- Free updates for a lifetime
- Supports multiple languages
- Excellent customer support
- Very reliable products
- Works very quickly
- Supports limited manufacturers
- Doesn’t support the latest models
Go for the iCarsoft VOL II Volvo/SAAB OBD-II Diagnostic Tool if you are looking for the best Volvo scan tool for older models.Learn More
3. AUTOPHIX ES610 OBD2 Scan Tool
If you are looking for a corded Volvo scan tool, then consider this option. Here’s all this Volvo code reader can do for you:
- OBD-II Functions: We found that this Volvo scanner offers some commonly used OBD functions like O2 sensor test, VIN, data stream, I/M readiness, read and clear codes, live data, and historic codes.
- System Diagnosis: Despite being a small tool, it can access systems including transmission, ABS, SRS, engine, additional heater, and air conditioning.
- Special Functions: It does not offer special functions, however, the ability to access air conditioning and heater systems is great.
- Vehicle Support: It supports 2014 and older Volvo models – to 2008. In addition to this, it works with a variety of other OBD-2 supported brands.
- Easy to understand problems thanks to definitions
- Very durable build
- Lightweight hence easy to use
- Supports all OBDII protocols
- The backlit display is incredible
- Can be a little slow at times
- Does not support newer Volvo models
The AUTOPHIX ES610 OBD2 Volvo Scanner is different because it is corded, hence not very portable but its great features and amazing ease make it one of the best Volvo scan tools.Learn More
4. iCarsoft I906 OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
This is the last you’re gonna see iCarsoft on this list. This Volvo OBD2 scanner is different from other iCarsoft scanners discussed above because it is wired. Here are its main features:
- OBD-II Functions: Do not let the wires fool you, like our previous iCarsoft scanners, this one also covers all major OBD functions including O2 sensor test, I/M readiness, Evap, read and clear codes, data stream, DTC, VIN, and live data.
- System Diagnosis: You will be able to test a variety of systems including the airbag, ABS, transmission, and engine.
- Special Functions: This diagnostic tool doesn’t offer special functions.
- Vehicle Support: It works best with 2005-2014 Volvo models.
- You can use it in multiple languages
- Comes with a nylon case
- The screen works well even in daylight
- The cable is highly durable
- Excellent customer support
- Can be a little tricky to upgrade
- Said to consume a lot of power
Consider the iCarsoft I906 Volvo/Saab OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner if you are looking for a wired Volvo scan tool that is easy to use.Learn More
5. OTR Performance 1999-2013 Heavy Truck Tool
OTR Performance is a new brand, but it’s quickly getting popular due to high-quality products like this Volvo OBDII scan tool. Let’s find out what this device can do.
- Clears Fault Codes: This truck tool can reset your fault codes and DPF/SCR system. Some models will display fault codes as well. In addition to this, you will be able to reset soot and ash levels when they’re past 200 percent.
- Reset Soot and Ash Levels – Past 200%: Active fault codes do cause excessive downtime as you try to find a repair shop, and after you finally find and arrive at a repair shop you are waiting possibly hours only to learn you can make it to your next destination.
- System Diagnosis: It cannot study or scan systems.
- Special Functions: While it doesn’t offer the special features discussed above, this scan tool for Volvo can reset an incomplete regen counter – if it’s stuck at 144 percent – and engine-learned data.
- Vehicle Support: This OTR scan tool is best suited for big cars and covers all Volvo and Mack trucks.
- Can clear codes in about a minute only
- Plug and play hence easy to use
- Designed to save time
- Can be good if you want to save money
- Offers dealer level work
- Only suitable for trucks
- Doesn’t offer a lot of basic functions
The OTR Performance 1999-2013 Volvo Mack Heavy Truck Tool is designed for trucks and can be a good pick for pros or truck owners.Learn More
6. Autel MS309 Universal OBD II Engine Code Reader
Autel products are known to be reliable and easy to use, and this Volvo code reader is no different. It is a solid device that can perform a variety of functions. Let’s find out more:
- OBDII Functions: This Volvo diagnostic OBD2 scanner displays and monitors an I/M readiness status, shows freeze frame data, displays definitions, erases codes, turns off CEL, and clears codes. Moreover, it can retrieve vehicle identification information.
- System Diagnosis: It cannot study or scan systems.
- Special Functions: No special functions work on this tool.
- Vehicle Support: This one hits the ball out of the park when it comes to compatibility as it covers international OBD-II compliant vehicles, including Volvo. Some top brands it works with include Subaru, Suzuki, VW, Lamborghini, Kia, Jaguar, Isuzu, GM, and BMW.
- This plug-and-play device is easy to use
- Supports a large number of devices
- The TFT color screen is bright
- Code definitions are simple and easy to comprehend
- It can retrieve generic, pending, and manufacturer-specific codes
- Can be slow at times
- Doesn’t support all Volvo models
The Autel MS309 Universal Volvo Code Reader is a basic option for users who want to be able to identify and solve common problems.Learn More
7. LAUNCH CRP123X OBD2 Car Scan Tool
Many call this Launch device the best OBD2 scanner for Volvo due to its incredible features and ease of use. Let’s find out what all this beauty offers:
- OBDII Functions: This Volvo diagnostic OBDII scanner displays and monitors an I/M readiness status, shows freeze frame data, displays definitions, erases codes, turns off CEL, and clears codes. Moreover, it can retrieve vehicle identification information.
- System Diagnosis: You will be able to diagnose different systems including SRS, ABS, transmission, and engine.
- Special Functions: This Volvo OBD2 scanner diagnostic tool does not offer special functions.
- Vehicle Support: It supports more than 40 brands, including Volvo, Holden, Romeo, Skoda, Smart, BMW, Porsche, Audi, and Jaguar.
- Presents data in a graphical form
- Updating is easy thanks to a one-click feature
- The 720P touchscreen is brilliant
- Uses the vehicle to charge the rechargeable battery
- Covers a large number of brands
- System diagnosis works better in 2006 or newer cars
- Not very durable
This LAUNCH OBD2 scanner is an upgraded version of another loved tool from the company, CRP123. Go for this one if you want support for more languages and ease.Learn More
8. Ancel AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD-II Scanner
As an automotive enthusiast, I’ve used the Ancel AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner several times to diagnose issues with my car, and it has become an indispensable tool in my garage.
One of the things I appreciate most about this Volvo OBD2 scanner is how easy it is to use. The interface is simple, and the instructions are clear, so even if you’re not a professional mechanic, you can quickly learn how to use it to diagnose problems with your car.
Another thing I like about the Ancel AD310 is its compatibility with a wide range of vehicles. As long as your car has an OBD II system, which most vehicles manufactured after 1996 do, you can use this scanner to read and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). It can retrieve both generic and manufacturer-specific codes, making it easy to identify the source of any issues.
The Ancel AD310 Volvo scanner also has several helpful features that make diagnosing problems with your car easy. For example, it can display freeze frame data and live data stream, allowing you to monitor various engine parameters in real time. This is particularly useful when you’re trying to diagnose intermittent issues that may be difficult to spot without real-time monitoring.
One potential downside to the Ancel AD310 Volvo code reader is that it may not have all the advanced diagnostic features that professional mechanics require, such as bi-directional control or module programming. However, for most DIY mechanics, these features are not necessary, and the Volvo scanner provides more than enough functionality for everyday use.
Overall rating: 4.6
- It’s one of the most affordable Volvo OBD2 scanners on the market, making it a great option for car owners on a budget
- Features a simple and intuitive user interface, with a large LCD screen that displays diagnostic data in an easy-to-read format
- It’s easy to use, with no need for any batteries or charging. It can be powered directly from the vehicle’s OBD2 port
- Provides real-time data on a range of engine parameters, allowing the user to monitor and diagnose issues as they occur
- Compatible with most vehicles manufactured after 1996, which have an OBD II system
- Features a built-in DTC library that provides definitions for diagnostic trouble codes, making it easier for users to understand and interpret diagnostic data
- Compact and portable
- Limited functionality
- Small screen
- Limited support
9. BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner
I have used the BlueDriver OBD2 Scanner for Volvo, and let me tell you, this little device packs a punch. As someone who enjoys working on my own car and fixing minor issues, the BlueDriver has become an indispensable tool in my toolbox.
This Volvo scanner connects to your vehicle’s onboard computer via the OBD-II port and provides you with a wealth of information about the car’s performance and health.
The device comes with a companion app that you can download onto your smartphone or tablet, which makes it incredibly easy to use. The app is user-friendly and straightforward.
One of the most impressive things about the BlueDriver is its ability to read and clear trouble codes. I can quickly and easily check for any issues with my car’s engine, transmission, ABS, SRS, and other systems and clear the codes once the problem has been fixed.
The live data stream feature allows me to monitor the car’s performance in real time, which is incredibly helpful for diagnosing problems. The freeze frame analysis function captures a snapshot of the car’s performance data when a trouble code is stored, providing me with a wealth of information about the problem.
Another great feature of the BlueDriver is its repair reports. The device generates detailed reports based on the data it collects, which provides me with an in-depth analysis of the issue and possible solutions. This is incredibly helpful for someone like me who is not an expert mechanic, as it gives me a roadmap for fixing the problem.
The BlueDriver is also highly compatible with a wide range of vehicles. It works with most vehicles that are 1996 or newer and has an OBD-II port, so you can use it on a variety of cars. The device is also affordable, making it a great choice for DIYers and small repair shops.
Overall Rating: 4.5
- Compatible with all vehicles that use the OBD2 standard, regardless of the manufacturer. This includes cars, trucks, and SUVs from domestic and foreign manufacturers
- Provides professional-level diagnostics, including advanced functions such as enhanced diagnostics and live data
- Connects to a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth, allowing the user to view and interpret data in real-time
- BlueDriver app is intuitive and easy to use, providing users with helpful information and tips to assist with diagnosis and repair
- Limited compatibility with some older vehicles
- Requires a smartphone or tablet
- Limited capabilities compared to professional-grade scanners
10. OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner
The OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for Volvo is a really cool tool for anyone who wants to get information about their car.
One of the things I Iike about this scanner is that it connects to your laptop or desktop computer via Bluetooth, so you don’t have to deal with any cords or wires getting in the way, which means you can use it practically anywhere. It also connects via USB for those times when you need a bit more power than your laptop alone can provide.
The OBDLink LX Volvo scanner will let you read trouble codes and sensor data, monitor parameters like engine temperature and fuel pressure, and even reset the check engine light if needed.
With a lightning-fast refresh rate, the OBDLink LX provides accurate, real-time data on your vehicle’s performance.
It is energy-efficient and won’t drain your vehicle’s or smartphone’s battery. Plus, it is small and portable, making it easy to take with you anywhere you go.
The Volvo scanner comes with free OBDwiz software that allows you to view, graph, and analyze your vehicle’s data on your computer or smartphone. It also includes a manual with step-by-step instructions for setting up the OBDLink LX and using its features.
The scanner is compatible with all 1996 and newer vehicles and includes a 3-year warranty.
Overall rating: 4.5
- Compatible with most vehicles that are equipped with an OBD2 system, which includes cars and trucks manufactured in 1996 or later
- Connects to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth, which means that you don’t need to worry about wires or cables
- Provides real-time data on your car’s performance, including engine speed, fuel consumption, and other key metrics
- Comes with the scanner has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to navigate and understand
- Advanced features, such as the ability to customize the dashboard, log data, and create custom alerts
- Comes with a three-year warranty and free firmware updates
- It’s expensive
- No built-in screen
- Requires a smartphone or tablet
- App dependent
My Final Thoughts About Volvo Scan Tools
These were some of the best Volvo scan tools I have tested that will give you peace of mind when you see an alarming car signal. If you want the best, then pick the FIXD™ OBD2 Scanner for Volvo/SAAB tool. You can’t go wrong with this one as it offers everything under one roof.
If you want a wired Volvo tool with similar features, then get your hands on the iCarsoft I906 Volvo/Saab OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner.
Those who want a cheaper and basic option can consider the Autel MS309 Universal Engine Code Reader. It is for users who do not know much about cars but can use some extra help to solve problems.