OBD2 Apps can turn your smartphone or tablet to your home mechanic. Would it be a pleasure to read your car’s health on your phone?
Phone operable obd2 scan tools let you have complete control of the scanner from your phone and diagnose problems in your car. However, to do that, you will need the best obd2 app. OBD2 apps use Bluetooth technology to connect an obd2 scanner with a phone.
All you need to do is download a car diagnostic app on your phone that’s compatible with the scanner and you can control it from your phone.
Don’t have enough time to read the whole review?
Don’t worry!! Below are the best choices that I’ve picked out for you
- 1 Best OBD2 Apps For iPad and iPhone: iOS OBD2 Apps
- 2 Best OBD2 Apps For Android
- 3 Compatibility
- 4 Recommendation for 3 best OBD2 adapters with Apps
Best OBD2 Apps For iPad and iPhone: iOS OBD2 Apps
BlueDriver iOS/Android Automotive Diagnostic Apps
Bluedriver app can be installed for free. This one of the best free obd2 software in the store. The auto diagnostic app helps control the Bluedriver scan tool which lets you scan and clear car codes from your phone. It also offers enhanced diagnostics including ABS, transmission, and airbag codes.
When it comes to quick and smooth connectivity, Bluedriver reigns supreme. Moreover, it works on both the iOs as well as the Android platform.
Apart from offering basic functionalities, it offers ABS, airbag and transmission codes in some models too. The app is free to use.
While the app is free to install, you will need to buy the Bluedriver sensor to communicate with the vehicle.
This engine diagnostic app lets you perform smog tests, check engine light errors and clear them after offering a fix. The best part about this app is that it connects automatically to your iPhone or iPad using the Bluetooth technology.
Bluedriver app is an ideal one for your vehicle because it offers a verified fix out of 4.5 million fixes for your car problem.
With Bluedriver app, you can freeze frame data, see live data on your phone.
Pros and Cons of BlueDriver iPhone OBD2 APP
- Free updates.
- Connects to iPhone and iPad automatically using Bluetooth.
- Send messages to the manufacturer using the app.
- Lets you export .pdf reports.
- No add-ons and everything is unlocked even if you are not subscribed.
- Global compatibility.
- Doesn’t work well with 8.0 and older iOS version.
- Connectivity issues in iPad Pro with iOS 11.x.
- The app might freeze if it’s not updated.
OBD Auto Doctor Vehicle Diagnostic App
OBD Auto Doctor is one of the best obd2 apps for the iOS platform. It has a simple user interface that turns your smartphone into an automotive scanner.
This automobile code reader app lets you check and reset car trouble codes from your phone while also checking real-time data. You can perform freeze frame, MIL, monitor fuel consumption and control many electronic control units including system, engine, and transmission.
You can perform on-board diagnostics and also track sensor data in real time with your phone. Thanks to the 18000 trouble code fix in the DTC database, most of the codes are read and cleared.
- USA – All OBD2 car and truck models since 1996.
- EU, Gasoline – models registered since 1 January 2001 (EOBD).
- EU, Diesel – models registered after 1 January 2004 (EOBD).
Pros and Cons of OBD Auto Doctor OBD2 App
- Reads vehicle’s identification number.
- Performs emission testing.
- See a graphical view of sensor data.
- Send diagnostics report through emails.
- With family sharing, 6 members can use the app.
- ELM327 v2.1 adapters have connectivity issues.
- Fuel consumption reports aren’t very accurate.
- Only supports iOS 9 and later versions.
DashCommand Car Diagnostic App for iPhone
Dashcommand is an engine diagnostic iOs app that is a four-time SEMA Global Media Award Winner for its performance. This car tuning apps transforms your phone into an engine data displayer and lets you see a variety of information including acceleration, torque, and horsepower.
This app lets you monitor fuel consumption and improve your vehicle’s gas mileage.
DashCommand offers many features including analyzing acceleration and brake performance, DTC trouble codes, data logging, trip information (start and end time, fuel cost, distance covered, etc), performance gauges, engine gauges, and fuel economy gauges.
Pros and Cons of DashCommand Auto Diagnostic APP
- Is very easy to use
- Is quick to show results
- Shows fuel level percentage and engine temperature.
- Reads all basic and many advanced codes.
- Doesn’t work well with 8.0 and older iOS version.
- The app doesn’t offer all of the features for every obd2 supported vehicle.
Best OBD2 Apps For Android
OBDLink Car Diagnostic App Android
If performing basic functions is what you’re after then OBDLink is a good choice. With it, you can see and clear trouble codes, freeze frame data, see real-time data, customize the dashboard, do emission readiness test and fuel economy data as well.
OBDLink is an exclusive app that supports only the following adapters:
– SX USB (with Android 3.1 or newer)
– MX Bluetooth
– MX Wi-Fi
– LX Bluetooth
This app turns your Android phones into a car diagnostic tool and helps you check and clear codes, view live data and offer many other features, too.
You can customize the dashboard with features that you use the most. It saves time and enhances usability.
The app will let you perform emission tests, read live data, record trip information, use GPS tracking, show oxygen sensor results, show results of onboard testing etc.
Pros and Cons of OBDLink Android OBD App
- Free unlimited updates.
- Email diagnostic reports.
- Emission readiness test.
- Displays over 90 parameters in real-time data.
- Lags in a few cars.
- Supports version 4.0.3 and up
Torque Pro OBD Code Reader App
Torque Pro lets you do a number of things including engine management, ECU, display car performance, show sensor data, and read codes.
It’s a customizable app that also lets you set GPS tracking.
It works best with OBD2/OBD adapters such as OBDKey, PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327. However, it supports many other scan tools as well.
Reads carbon dioxide emissions, shows sensor data, reads almost all CEL codes and clears them. Moreover, it reads and speaks alarms and warnings (for example, when the coolant temperature is rising).
It supports all obd2 scanners perfectly and lets you use your Android phone to control it.
Pros and Cons of Torque Pro App
- Car dock support.
- New features are added with every release.
- Gauges can be customized.
- Select from various color schemes.
- Shows dynamometer, horsepower, and emission information.
- Lagging in HTC and Samsung phones.
Carista OBD2 Auto Diagnostics App
Carista is another free app that can perform many functionalities such as basic obd2 diagnostics and emission tests but you must need to buy a subscription to use all the advanced features.
Carista is an amazing app that works on the Android platform. It offers a plethora of basic functionalities on the free version and offers many advanced ones too when you buy the subscription.
The advanced functions you get to use are ECU, EPB, TPMS, Customization, coding ABS/Airbag etc.
The paid version offers ECU, EPB, TPMS, customization and coding, ABS/Airbag and other advanced features.
It supports almost all OBD2 adapters and vehicle makes.
It connects to your obd2 adapter and communicates with your car to diagnose problems. You can reset engine light codes, see live data and perform basic functionalities with the free version.
Advanced features such as ABS, Airbag, navigation etc are supported by a few models only including SEAT, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda (VAG), Mini, BMW, Toyota, Scion, and Lexus. However, you must buy the paid version to avail them all.
Carista app serves as a personal assistant to your car. With the customization feature, you can auto lock doors, and even auto turn on the engine lights when the car is turned on.
With the paid version, you can launch the control counter, see detailed ECU information, and service reset.
It supports all obd2 models after 2000.
Pros and Cons of Carista OBD2 Car Diagnostic App
- You get a free one month trial to use paid features if you use Carista adapter.
- Passes an overheating alert if the temperature is rising.
- Customization options.
- Use advanced functionalities after purchasing the app.
- All obd2 adapters might not be supported by the app.
OBD Car Doctor Pro OBD2 software
OBD Car Doctor Pro is amazing when it comes to displaying real-time diagnoses. However, you should have an ELM 327 or compatible adapter.
This paid app displays the results of many engines and car parameters including sensor data, pressure, speed, rotation angle, and pressure
Beginners and experts both love the app as it is not complicated to use. The interface is friendly and it supports many basic functions and advanced features as well.
Features of Android OBD Car Doctor Pro
With this app, you can store and share DTC data with a mechanic or any person, record various parameters that are running in the background, freeze frame data, CEL lights, and check fuel consumption.
It supports ECU on some models, reads and records real-time parameters, reads car’s sensor data, supports economy parameters, etc.
Pros and Cons of OBD Car Doctor Pro
- Supports GPS.
- Lets you read multiple parameters.
- Shows real-time data in charts.
- Quick when it comes to using.
- It might disrupt the WiFi connection on the phone.
- Might not support cheaper obd2 scanners.
- Stability problems with the Bluetooth connection.
This app is good for beginners only because it doesn’t support advanced features.
Recommendation for 3 best OBD2 adapters with Apps
|Best of the Best||Best Value||Also Great|
4.4 / 5
4.2 / 5
4.2 / 5
Buy a subscription for advanced features.
|Freeze frame/live data||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ABS, airbag, transmission||Yes||Yes||Yes|