OBD2 App can turn your smartphone or tablet to your home mechanic. Would it be a pleasure to read your car’s health on your phone?
Phone operable obd2 scan tools let you have complete control of the scanner from your phone and diagnose problems in your car. However, to do that, you will need the best obd2 app. OBD2 apps use Bluetooth technology to connect an obd2 scanner with a phone.
All you need to do is download a car diagnostic app on your phone that’s compatible with the scanner and you can control it from your phone.
Recommendation for 3 Best OBD2 Adapters with Apps:
|Best of the Best for iPhone & Android||Best Cheap for iOS||Runner-up for Android & iOS|
4.6 / 5
4.5 / 5
4.4 / 5
|Product Dimensions||2.2" x 1.9" x 1"||4.3" x 3.2" x 1.4"||1.6" x 2" x 0.9"|
|Free download||✔||--||Some may require separate purchase|
|Freeze frame/live data||✔||--||✔|
|ABS, airbag, transmission||✔||--||--|
Best OBD2 App
1. BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool App
Bluedriver app can be installed for free. This one of the best free obd2 software in the store. The auto diagnostic app helps control the Bluedriver scan tool which lets you scan and clear car codes from your phone. It also offers enhanced diagnostics including ABS, transmission, and airbag codes.
When it comes to quick and smooth connectivity, Bluedriver reigns supreme. Moreover, it works on both the iOs as well as the Android platform.
Apart from offering basic functionalities, it offers ABS, airbag and transmission codes in some models too. The app is free to use.
While the app is free to install, you will need to buy the Bluedriver sensor to communicate with the vehicle.
This engine diagnostic app lets you perform smog tests, check engine light errors and clear them after offering a fix. The best part about this app is that it connects automatically to your iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth technology.
Bluedriver app is an ideal one for your vehicle because it offers a verified fix out of 4.5 million fixes for your car problem.
With Bluedriver OBD2 App, you can freeze frame data, see live data on your phone.
- Free updates.
- Connects to iPhone and iPad automatically using Bluetooth.
- Send messages to the manufacturer using the app.
- Lets you export .pdf reports.
- No add-ons and everything is unlocked even if you are not subscribed.
- Global compatibility.
- Doesn’t work well with 8.0 and older iOS version.
- Connectivity issues in iPad Pro with iOS 11.x.
- The app might freeze if it’s not updated.
2. Carista OBD2 App
Last but not least, Carista is another free app that can perform many functionalities such as basic obd2 diagnostics and emission tests. But you must need to buy a subscription to use all the advanced features.
Therefore, Carista is an amazing app that works on the Android platform. It offers a plethora of basic functionalities on the free version and offers many advanced ones too when you buy the subscription.
The advanced functions you get to use are ECU, EPB, TPMS, Customization, coding ABS/Airbag, etc.
The paid version offers ECU, EPB, TPMS, customization and coding, ABS/Airbag and other advanced features.
It supports almost all OBD2 adapters and the vehicle makes.
It connects to your obd2 adapter and communicates with your car to diagnose problems. You can reset engine light codes, see live data and perform basic functionalities with the free version.
Advanced features such as ABS, Airbag, navigation etc are supported by a few models only including SEAT, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda (VAG), Mini, BMW, Toyota, Scion, and Lexus. However, you must buy the paid version to avail them all.
Carista app serves as a personal assistant to your car. With the customization feature, you can auto lock doors, and even auto turn on the engine lights when the car is turned on.
With the paid version, you can launch the control counter, see detailed ECU information, and service reset.
It supports all obd2 models after 2000.
- You get a free one month trial to use paid features if you use Carista adapter.
- Passes an overheating alert if the temperature is rising.
- Customization options.
- Use advanced functionalities after purchasing the app.
- All obd2 adapters might not be supported by the app.
If performing basic functions is what you’re after then OBDLink is a good choice. With it, you can see and clear trouble codes, freeze frame data, see real-time data, customize the dashboard, do emission readiness test and fuel economy data as well.
This app turns your Android phones into a car diagnostic tool and helps you check and clear codes, view live data and offer many other features, too.
You can customize the dashboard with features that you use the most. It saves time and enhances usability.
The app will let you perform emission tests, read live data, record trip information, use GPS tracking, show oxygen sensor results, show results of onboard testing, etc.
- Free unlimited updates.
- Email diagnostic reports.
- Emission readiness test.
- Displays over 90 parameters in real-time data.
- Lags in a few cars.
- Supports version 4.0.3 and up
4. OBD Auto Doctor
OBD Auto Doctor App is one of the best obd2 apps for the iOS platform. It has a simple user interface that turns your smartphone into an automotive scanner.
There’s a free version available on iTunes, however, in order to avail all the features, you will need to purchase the pro version.
This automobile code reader app lets you check and reset car trouble codes from your phone while also checking real-time data. You can perform freeze frame, MIL, monitor fuel consumption and control many electronic control units including system, engine, and transmission.
You can perform on-board diagnostics and also track sensor data in real time with your phone. Thanks to the 18000 trouble code fix in the DTC database, most of the codes are read and cleared.
- USA – All OBD2 car and truck models since 1996.
- EU, Gasoline – models registered since 1 January 2001 (EOBD).
- EU, Diesel – models registered after 1 January 2004 (EOBD).
- Reads vehicle’s identification number.
- Performs emission testing.
- See a graphical view of sensor data.
- Send diagnostics report through emails.
- With family sharing, 6 members can use the app.
- ELM327 v2.1 adapters have connectivity issues.
- Fuel consumption reports aren’t very accurate.
- Only supports iOS 9 and later versions.
5. OBD Fusion
OBD Fusion is an application that allows you to read vehicle information from the screen of your smart device. The features and functions of OBD Fusion are limitless and allow the user to create a reliable platform with their handheld device. That means from any Ipad, Android or iPhone, the user can estimate their fuel economy, check multiple vehicle sensors, read trouble codes or even turn off the check engine light.
OBD Fusion will not disappoint you, it is one of the best selling applications on the market for vehicle diagnostics. It is easy to use and seamlessly connects with your vehicle for fast diagnostics. Not only will you be able to configure vehicle settings, but additionally you will have access to live data, freeze frame data and full diagnostic reports.
This application even has the available access to tell the user the exact location of their vehicle in a parking spot with a live map. Never worry again about passing an emissions test, with the monitoring functions, the OBD fusion is your best bet for meeting emissions standards. This application is compatible with most cars and light-duty trucks past 1996. OBD Fusion works with a variety of adapters for both IOS and Android devices.
- Easy-to-Use- Rapid connection time to both your device and vehicle.
- IOS and Android Compatibility- The OBD Fusion works with a variety of devices.
- Online and Offline Use- The application works with live maps online and offline to help the user.
- Full diagnostic reports- For an application, the OBD Fusion can prepare full reports for your mechanic.
- Reputable- OBD Fusion is one of the best-reviewed applications
- Additional costs within the application- Some additional costs may be necessary for certain functions.
One of the adapters that OBD Fusion is compatible with us the BAFX Wi-Fi OBD2 adapter. This particular adapter is compatible with Android or IOS devices. It is a great adapter similar to other ELM327 devices, and works with Wifi or Bluetooth. A great tool to help connect with the OBD Fusion application and get quick vehicle reads.
Dashcommand is an engine diagnostic iOs app that is a four-time SEMA Global Media Award Winner for its performance. This car tuning apps transforms your phone into an engine data displayer and lets you see a variety of information including acceleration, torque, and horsepower.
This app lets you monitor fuel consumption and improve your vehicle’s gas mileage.
One of the most likable features is its ability to customize features. You can place the most used and preferred features on the dashboard for quick and easy use.
DashCommand offers many features including analyzing acceleration and brake performance, DTC trouble codes, data logging, trip information (start and end time, fuel cost, distance covered, etc), performance gauges, engine gauges, and fuel economy gauges.
- Is very easy to use
- Is quick to show results
- Shows fuel level percentage and engine temperature.
- Reads all basic and many advanced codes.
- Doesn’t work well with 8.0 and older iOS version.
- The app doesn’t offer all of the features for every obd2 supported vehicle.
7. Car Scanner ELM OBD2
The ELM OBD2 application is a tool that works both as an OBD2 scan tool and a trip planner. That means you can use this device to learn more about your vehicle and also compute trips for your vehicle.
While using this application, the user can check vehicle performance, get OBD fault codes and check sensor data. You can check your cars diagnostic using Wifi or Bluetooth technology.
That’s right, no more messing with wires and connectors to get a clear read on your vehicle. Some additional features that come with the ELM OBD2 application are the abilities to configure PIDS, display and reset DTC fault codes, and freeze frame data.
As well, this application has Mode 06 technology that helps you do ECU self-monitoring checks and keep repair costs low. Basically, you can check all vehicle sensors from your smartphone or handheld device. Double check if your car is ready for an emission test or gets clear DTC definition all on one screen.
This application works with most OBD2 standard vehicles, those built after 1996. As well, this application works with a variety of adapters. A great selling point about this application is that there are some extra features available for Toyotas, Mitsubishi, Kias and more.
- Extra Features- For certain vehicle manufacturers, this application works has extra features available.
- Easy to Use- Simply connect with Wifi or Bluetooth and your vehicle.
- Clear DTC descriptions- There should be no confusion about a engine trouble code.
- Mode 06- Complete coverage for all OBD2 Mode 6 tests.
- Cheap Knock-Offs- Beware when purchasing applications or adapters, that you don’t get scammed by cheaply-made product imposters.
- Cannot connect with V.2 adapters– When purchasing an adapter, make sure they are not V.2.
The CarScanner ELM OBD2 application works with any adapter that is ELM 327 based. Therefore there are a few Bluetooth or Wifi based adapter that works well and are affordable. Any adapter with ELM 327 is basically a small computer that can connect with your vehicle and give full information reads. That being said, the best adapter choice is any ELM327 based device that has version 1.4 or 2.1. Users should beware of cheap knock-off devices before purchase. Many users have complained about devices that are not compatible or a knock-off device. A noteworthy tip: cheaper devices do not promise good quality results.
8. Dash – Drive Smart
The moto behind the Dash application is being the smart driving assistant. That means you can rest assured with Dash being your vehicle’s partner. The Dash application works as a partner to make your vehicle into a smart car. With Dash, you can unlock enhanced vehicle performances as well as find cost savings tips for your vehicle. What makes the Dash application unique is that you do not need any device to pair with this smart application.
Therefore, from your smartphone, you will have access to gas prices, vehicle prices, engine light alerts and more. If you do have an OBD device, simply plug it into your vehicles OBD2 port and connect with the application. From there, you can wirelessly connect with Bluetooth to get key features onto your smart device.
Dash was created for the US market and is compatible with most OBD2 friendly devices built after 1996. Users should note that this application and tool are not compatible with international models at the moment. International users can check their vehicle compatibility before purchase.
- Vehicle Information- On your smart device, you can use Dash to get clear vehicle diagnostics.
- Car Location- Using real-time map locators, the Dash application can find your car no matter where it may be.
- Unique Device- Use Dash with or without a OBD scan tool.
- Check-Engine Alerts- Be alerted about a check-engine potential problem before it becomes an issue.
- Not International-Compatible- Dash application and tool does not work for all vehicles outside the US.
- Not for all users- International drivers should check their vehicle before purchasing Dash.
- Subscription based used- Monthly fees are included to use Dash which may defer some users.
With the Dash application there are a variety of devices that are compatible. Users should decide which adapter is best for them depending on if they are working with an IOS or Android device. CellAssist works with both Android and IOS, but is one of the higher priced scan tools. Others on the list are OBDLink LX, Kiwi 3, VeePeak or other generic, lower priced tools.
9. Torque Pro
Torque Pro lets you do a number of things including engine management, ECU, display car performance, show sensor data, and read codes.
It’s a customizable app that also lets you set GPS tracking.
It works best with OBD2/OBD adapters such as OBDKey, PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327. However, it supports many other scan tools as well.
Reads carbon dioxide emissions, shows sensor data, reads almost all CEL codes and clears them. Moreover, it reads and speaks alarms and warnings (for example, when the coolant temperature is rising).
It supports all obd2 scanners perfectly and lets you use your Android phone to control it.
- Car dock support.
- New features are added with every release.
- Gauges can be customized.
- Select from various color schemes.
- Shows dynamometer, horsepower, and emission information.
- Sometimes lagging in HTC phones.
This app supports all obd2 vehicles and supports Android version 2.0 and above. It has a user-friendly interface and tons of built-in functions.
10. inCarDoc Pro
inCarDoc Pro is amazing when it comes to displaying real-time diagnoses. However, you should have an ELM 327 or compatible adapter.
This paid app displays the results of many engines and car parameters including sensor data, pressure, speed, rotation angle, and pressure
Beginners and experts both love the app as it is not complicated to use. The interface is friendly and it supports many basic functions and advanced features as well.
Features of Android OBD Car Doctor Pro
With this app, you can store and share DTC data with a mechanic or any person, record various parameters that are running in the background, freeze frame data, CEL lights, and check fuel consumption.
It supports ECU on some models, reads and records real-time parameters, reads car’s sensor data, supports economy parameters, etc.
- Supports GPS.
- Lets you read multiple parameters.
- Shows real-time data in charts.
- Quick when it comes to using.
- It might disrupt the WiFi connection on the phone.
- Might not support cheaper obd2 scanners.
- Stability problems with the Bluetooth connection.
This app is good for beginners only because it doesn’t support advanced features.
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter