High quality OBD2 scanners are an important part of any mechanics tool kit. Among the many brands available on the market, our top pick is Autel Scanners. Autel scan tools bring to the table what most OBD2 scanners cannot. They have high compatibility, offer great features, and can connect to most vehicles.
Types of Autel Scanners on the Market
Before discussing the top Autel Scanner models currently on the market, let’s explore the types of Autel Scanners you can buy. Each type of scanner will suit a different type of mechanic. These include:
- Autel Code Readers: These are the most affordable Autel scanners but can perform basic functions only including CEL, MIL, DTC codes. Functionally, these will work well for less advanced home mechanics.
- Autel DIY Scanners: These are a bit more advanced. They offer features such as O2 sensor test, clear ABS or SRS. Since these can do a bit more than regular code readers, these could work for a more advanced home mechanic or professional.
- Autel Professional Diagnostic Scanners: These are for both advanced home and professional mechanics. These scanners can perform advanced functions such as EPB, DPF, key coding, ECU programming, oil reset, airbag, and more. While they are a bit expensive, they can read almost all the problems in your car and offer a fix immediately, saving you hundreds of dollars.
Overall, the type of scanner you purchase will depend on how comfortable you are working on cars and what advanced features you may need.
The 10 Best Autel Scanners to Buy in 2022
After discovering which type of Autel Scanner will work best for your skill level, you can start exploring individual models.
While Autel is known for their wide range of compatibility, advanced features, and easy connections, their models each have different benefits and drawbacks.
Let’s explore our top 10 picks for best Autel Scanners currently on the market.
Autel AL619 Autolink OBD2 Scanner – Editor’s Pick
The Autel AL619 Autolink is a great option for an advanced home mechanic. It offers a wide range of features and compatibility options, while remaining reasonably affordable. Some of the key benefits to this OBD2 Scanner include:
- Basic & Advanced Functions: With Autel AL619, you can clear MIL codes, read PCM live data, view freeze frame, o2 sensor test and show vehicle information as well. You can also perform more advanced functions like reading and clearing ABS and SRS Warning Lights.
- DTC Lookup: This Autel scanner always displays error codes with the explanation. This can help save you time and easily understand your car’s problems.
Compatibility: Best Autel scanner AL619 supports 1996 and newer domestic, Asian and European vehicles that are OBD2 supported. The supported brands include: M, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, Renault, Land rover, Jaguar and more.
While this Autel Automotive Scanner has quite a few beneficial features, it also comes with a few drawbacks. Some things to consider before deciding on this model include:
- Doesn’t Work on Hybrid Vehicles: As car manufacturers continue to innovate, hybrid vehicles are becoming more and more popular. This tool does not work with hybrid vehicles, so this may not be the best choice for a professional repair shop.
- Doesn’t Support GM Cars That Are Newer Than 2013: Unfortunately, this scanner will not work on cars newer than 2013 if they were manufactured by GM. You’ll need another scanner if you need to pull DTC codes from a GM vehicle.
Corded Device: This device is not wireless; it is a corded device. This can make travel and storage much less convenient compared to other smaller models.
Autel AL519 Enhanced OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool with Mode 6
AL519 AutoLink is an excellent Autel scan tool that can do much more than just read and clear codes. It can do component tests, O2 sensor tests as well. With the list of features attached to this Autel model, this is a great fit for DIY home mechanics. Some of the top benefits of this diagnostic scan tool include:
- Advanced and Basic Functions: With Autel AL519, you can read and erase codes, see live data, retrieve I/M status, freeze frame data, do on-board monitor test, o2 monitor test, component test, view vehicle’s information and module information as well.
- Code Lookup And Print: With this Autel Tech scan tool, you don’t need to Google any code as it displays complete definition along with the cause. Moreover, you can also print data to show it to a professional or view later.
- Compatibility: It supports almost all 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN) vehicles.
This Autel scanner is perfect for car owners who want to have a fast operating scanner to diagnose their car and give suggestions to fix.
While this tool offers a number of great functions (especially for the price), it does come with it’s drawbacks. Some of the top things to consider before purchasing this model include:
- Obsolete Device: Because it is an older model, this device is no longer receiving updates. This means that it will not update to include better features, a faster operating system, or upgraded battery power.
- Difficult Registration: Because the device is obsolete, it can be difficult to register.
- Difficult to Attach Connector: This device has a rubber casing on the OBD2 connector. Because it is so bulky, it can be difficult to attach.
- Notifications Disappear Quickly: The notifications on this device only usually stay for 2-3 seconds. This can make it difficult to read if you’re not quick.
Autel Maxicom MK808 All-System Scanner and Key Programmer
MK808 is an Autel scanner tablet for people who are fond of touch technology. It helps diagnose complex car issues and recommend fixes. This Autel scan tool can perform functions like ABS, SRS, AT, BMS, DPF, SAS etc. Additionally, this tablet has a 7-inch LCD and it works on a polymer battery which gives it a runtime of 4.5 hours on continuous use.
Some of the other key benefits to purchasing this Autel Scan Tool include:
- Basic & Advanced Features: With Autel scan tool MK808 you can emission tests, Check light test and all common OBD2 scanner functions. Additionally, it supports a number of advanced functions including BMS, EPB, SAS, ABS, airbag, TPMS, Key Programming, DPF, Injector, Brake Bleed and Oil Reset.
- WiFi Compatible: Updates can be downloaded directly with WiFi.
- Compatibility: All 1996 and newer US-based and 2000 and newer EU based OBD2 supported vehicles can use this Autel Scanner.
- Works with Android Systems: This model operates on an Android System (KitKat), which can connect to a variety of phones and computers.
- 1 Year Warranty: This product comes with a standard 1 year warranty that can be easily used in case your tool malfunctions or breaks.
This Autel scanner is ideal for mechanics and professionals who want to perform advanced functions such as DPF, IMMO, ABS, SRS, and TPMS.
While the Autel MK808ts model does have a wide variety of benefits, it also comes with it’s own drawbacks. Before purchasing this model, there are a few things you should consider:
- Doesn’t Support ECU Programming: ECU Programming is a feature found on many scan tools. Unfortunately, the Autel MK808ts model does not offer this feature.
- TPMS Doesn’t Work On Some Models: The TPMS system will not work on some car models – most notably the Toyota Highlander and 2009 Jettas.
IMMO Function Doesn’t Work on Benz: The IMMO Function of the Autel MK808ts model is not available on any Benz vehicles.
Autel AutoLink AL319 OBDII Code Reader and Service Tool
Autolink AL319 is an excellent Autel code reader as it is affordable and offers many basic functionalities. Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD2 Scanner is affordable and offers many amazing basic functionalities. It is built for people who want to take care of basic car problems. AL319 can read basic car problems and offer solutions
Some of the top key features on the Autel AutoLink AL319 include:
- Basic & Advanced Functions: Autolink AL319 can check and clear MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) codes, display live PCM data, freeze frame data, show I/M Readiness Status, Live Sensor Data, CIN, CVN, VIN and offer DTC Lookup as well.
- Offers Quick Definitions: The best part about this Autel code reader is that it can read manufacturer (P1, P3, and U1) and generic specific codes (P0, P2, P3and U0).You can view the problem immediately and catch the cause as the DTC Lookup displays fill information regarding the problem on the screen.
- Print Option: Autel Autolink AL319 also lets you print errors and data to view in the future.
- Compatibility: Supports OBD2 1996 and newer models, CAN support vehicles, EOBD vehicles as well.
Autolink AL319 is built for people who want to take care of basic car problems. While it is a corded device, the affordable price may be worth the slight inconvenience.
Overall, the Autel Autolink AL319 is a great option for home mechanics. However, it does have a few drawbacks to consider before purchasing:
- Very Short Cord: While this may not seem like a total inconvenience, the length of this cord is incredibly short. When you have it connected to your car, it will barely reach your lap. This can make it difficult to handle while still staying connected.
- Doesn’t Support Electric Cars: With the rise of sustainable cars being manufactured, it is important to have a tool to accommodate them. However, this model does not support electric cars.
A TF Card Reader is Required to Update: Since a TF card reader is required to update this product, the system can be a bit of an inconvenience.
Autel MaxiLink ML619 ABS SRS MIL CAN OBD2 Scanner
Maxilink ML619 is an advanced Autel scanner that allows you to detect problems in the airbag system, anti-lock brake system, ABS, SRS, etc. Overall, it’s a great fit for DIYers. While this system may be basic for more advanced mechanics, it does offer a few key benefits including:
- Basic & Advanced Functions: Autel Maxilink ML619 lets you read and clear basic trouble codes, display drive cycle readiness, turn off MIL, read PCM live data, freeze frame, store and playback data as well. Additionally, Autel Maxilink ML619 offers two advanced functions: ABS Warning Lights and SRS Warning Lights.
- Complete Code Definition: Autel ML619 shows complete error with the cause of the problem.
- High Level of Compatibility: Autel Maxilink ML619 supports many vehicles including: Ford, GM, Honda, Holden, Mitsubishi, Rover, Acura, FIAT, Audi, Nissan and all the cars that are 1996 and newer (OBD2 and CAN) models.
Autel ML619 can read ABS and SRS light issues and perform many basic functions as well. It’s a great fit for DIYers.
While the Autel ML619 does come with a wide range of benefits for DIY mechanics, it does have it’s own drawbacks. The top considerations you should make before purchasing this product include:
- Difficult Registration & Update Process: Because this product is older, it is difficult to register and receive software updates for it.
- Shows Range Error in Non US/Canada Vehicles:
- Short Cord: The cord on this product is only 2.46ft long. This can make it inconvenient to read diagnostic error codes and lead to connection issues.
- Cheap Construction: Because this product appears to have cheap construction, the outside needs to be protected. You’ll need to purchase a protective rubber case for this product to keep it from breaking easily.
Autel MK908P Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner and Programming Tool
This is the best professional automotive diagnostic scanner for many because it offers everything from coding to programming. Autel MK908P Professional offers 11 advanced features, all OBD2 scanner basic features, and ECU coding and programming for BMW and Benz as well. It’s a wireless tool that lets you control your car’s engine, components, systems, and sensors.
Overall, the long list of key features on this product include:
- ECU Programming and Coding: It offers advanced flash ECU coding and programming using an interface that’s SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant vehicle programming.
- 11 Advanced Features: It offers unmatched advanced features like: ECU Programming and coding for Benz and BMW, IMMO, ABS Bleeding, A/C initialization, AUTO VIN, Oil Reset, Injector Programming, EPB, DPF, SAS and Throttle Matching.
- High Level of Compatibility: It supports 80 US, Asian and European makes and models that are OBD2 compliant.
This Autel scanner is ideal for professional users who want to use advanced features. However, it may be too complex for home mechanics.
While the Autel MK908P Professional Scanner offers a wide range of key features, it does have its own drawbacks as well. The top considerations you should make before purchasing this model include:
- The Cost: This model can run between $2,000-$2,500 on average. This is much higher compared to most of the other models on the list. However, it does offer a multitude of unique features that could be useful to a professional mechanic.
- Can’t Re-Learn TPMS Sensors: Even though this is one of the most advanced OBD2 scanners on the market, it cannot re-learn TPMS sensors.
Autel MS906 Professional Automotive Diagnostic Tool with ECU Coding
Autel Maxisys MS906 operates with a 1.3 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 + 1.7 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 that can process tests rapidly and display quick results. This makes it one of the fastest and high quality professional system diagnostic tools on the market.
It has a wide range of benefits including:
- Powerful Battery: This Autel scanner has a power packed battery of 5000 mAh which can last for 5 hours easily.
- AutoVIN Technology: With this feature, you can easily identify your vehicles among many.
- Basic & Advanced Features: Along with all basic OBD2 functions, this model also has some advanced features, like: ABS, SRS, ECU coding, EPB, actuation tests, adaptations, TPMS services, oil reset, SAS calibration, and DPF. Additionally, there is an 8MP camera to capture pictures and make videos.
- Compatibility: MS906 supports more than 80 car brands including Chevrolet, Ford, GM, Audi, Benz, BMW, Dodge, and more. Additionally, this model is compatible with all bluetooth models including iOS and Android.
The MS906 is for professionals as it is among the best Autel scanners. It offers a wide variety of features suitable for any mechanic’s garage.
While this model does have a long list of benefits and useful functions, it also comes with a few drawbacks. Before purchasing this model, you should consider:
- Cost of Tool: With the amount of special features that the MS906 brings to the table, the price is incredibly high. This tool can usually be purchased for $1,000+.
- Cost of Updates: Aside from the cost of the tool itself, the Autel MS906 also has costly updates. After the first year, you’ll be spending $495 per year on the updates alone.
Batteries Fail Early: For the cost of the updates and the tool itself, you should expect top quality. However, this model frequently has a battery failure issue. Many batteries will fail before the lifespan of the tool is up, which only adds to the additional costs associated.
Autel MD808 Pro All System Car Diagnostic Tool
Maxidiag MD808 is a professional Autel Scanner that lets you use DPF, SRS, ABS, oil reset, battery maintenance and check trouble codes. It can also correct the steering sensor in your car. Vehicle owners, store repairs and professionals love the tool as it offers many advanced features.
Some of the other key benefits to using this tool include:
- Basic & Advanced Features: MD808 reads transmission codes and fixes ABS and SRS light related issues, does oil resets, fixes parking brakes issue, turns off ECU brake light, does DPF, BMS, EPB, SAS and reset the battery as well. Additionally, it can also check the audio control module, body control module, accessory protocol interface module, and air condition control module.
- Test Runs: This Autel scanner lets you run tests such as BSM, ACCM, APIM and ACM using Auto scan feature. The quick scan and tester feature offers information on BMS, DPF, EPB, SAS, and oil reset.
- Compatibility: It supports all OBD2 vehicles that are 1996 and newer models such as Audi, Acura, Land Rover, Skoda, Seat, Isuzu, Honda, Audi, and Benz. Additionally, it supports all OBD II protocols.
People who want to monitor and fix issues related to the battery, transmission, engine and other systems should get the corded Autel MD808.
While this scan tool is suitable for a range of mechanics, it does have its drawbacks. Before purchasing the Autel MD808 Pro, you should consider the following cons:
- Difficult to Update: This tool can be difficult to update at times. While this tool does offer free updates it can be difficult to access them online and take a while.
- Doesn’t Offer TFT: In addition to some other extra features, the MD808 Pro does not offer TFT services.
- Cost: The cost of this product is extremely high, especially for DIYers and home mechanics. This tool runs about $300 on average, which is high for a tool that is not considered a professional diagnostic scan tool.
Autel AL539 Full System Diagnostic Scanner
This Autel Scanner can perform all basic functions with an additional circuit test. It comes with probes and lets you perform starter and charge tests on batteries. In addition to those features, the Autel AL539 also includes:
- Basic & Advanced Functions: Autel AL539 reads and erases codes, shows emission status, freeze frame data, O2 monitor test, onboard monitor test, live data and record data and playback as well.
- Starter Test: You can either test the crank voltage by either placing the probes on the battery directly after connecting to the scanner or via the OBD II connection.
- Charge Test: This will show alternator output from no load to when you add loads. It then shows low, normal and high output ripple results.
- Circuit-Test: Tests DC and AC voltage.
Overall, this model is a great pick for car owners and DIYers that want to run a multitude of tests on their car frequently. The low cost makes it affordable for almost any mechanic.
While the Autel AL539 has a wide range of benefits, it also has its own drawbacks. Some things you should consider before buying this model include:
- Limitations on Voltage Checking Feature: While this model does have a voltage checking feature, it does have its limitations.
- Slower to Work on Lithium Batteries: While this model will work with electric and hybrid batteries made from lithium, it will be a little slower to process. This can be frustrating if you are primarily working on a hybrid or electric car.
Doesn’t Work Well with German Cars: With a scan tool, you’ll ideally like to see a wide range of compatibility. However, this model specifically doesn’t mesh well with German car brands.
Autel AutoLink AL329 OBD2 Reader
AutoLink AL329 is another code reader that offers basic functionality and is actually an extension of the AL319. This code reader has a wide range of advanced key features including:
- Basic & Advanced Functions: AutoLink AL329 checks and clears CEL codes, displays live PCM data, freeze frame data, reads and resets monitors, Live Sensor Data, CIN, CVN, VIN, CALID, and offers DTC Lookup as well.
- AUTO VIN: This is the only function that’s not on the AL319. Auto VIN lets the code reader read Vehicle Identification Number automatically.
- Reads Specific And Manufacture Codes: Autel AutoLink 329 can read manufacturer (P1, P3, and U1) and generic specific codes (P0, P2, P3and U0) and see definitions using DTC.
- Record And Play: You can record data that you think might be required in the future and play it when you want to see.
- Compatibility: It supports domestic, Asian and European vehicles that are 1996 or newer EOBD/OBD2 compatible versions.
This Autel code reader is ideal for car owners who want to read basic trouble codes and know what’s wrong with their car. However, it may not be suitable for a professional mechanic setting.
While the Autel AutoLink 329 has a wide range of benefits, it also comes with its own drawbacks. Some of the top considerations you should make before purchasing this model include:
- Doesn’t Support the German Language: This code reader cannot support German manufactured cars. Unfortunately, this limited compatibility decreases the number of vehicles that can be used on by a great amount.
- Short Cord: The cord on the Autel AL329 is incredibly short. This can make it difficult to read and diagnose issues in your car.
- “Linking Error” Messages: One of the most common issues with this model is that there is frequently a “Linking Error” message on the screen. This issue could be with the connector cable or the device itself.
- Not Bi-Directional: This tool can only read error codes; it cannot fix them.When you get a system diagnosis, you may not be able to fix the issue right away with this code reader.
Other Quality Autel Scanners
If you’re still not satisfied with the features listed in our top 10 Autel Scanners, you may want to consider a different option. Autel makes a wide range of professional scan tools, code readers and service tools. Some of their other products include:
- Autel MaxiPro MP808ts
- Autel Maxisys Elite
- Autel Maxiim IM508
- Autel AutoLink AL519
- Autel Maxicom MK906bt
They all offer the same wide compatibility as the other Autel scan tools on this list, and have their own key benefits and features. It may be worth it to explore these options if you’re still searching for an Autel OBD2 Scanner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Autel make good scanners?
Autel is one of our favorite brands to look at when it comes to OBD2 scanners and code readers. Their products are highly compatible and come with many advanced features for a great price.
What is the best Autel tool to buy?
Our favorite, when it comes to features, compatibility, and value, is the Autel AL619 Autolink OBD2 Scanner. This product offers a range of features for multiple mechanic skill levels and comes at an affordable price.
Do Autel scanners work as key programmers as well?
While some Autel models have the ability to code and program keys, there are others that will not. If you are searching for specific features, it’s always best to ensure that the model you’re buying has the ability to perform it.
Are Autel updates free?
Most Autel scanners come with free updates. However, some of the professional models have a yearly or monthly cost associated with them.
Explore More OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Reviews with OBD Station
The auto industry is constantly updating. There are always new tools on the market and plenty of competing reviews. It can be difficult to find a product or tool that works best for you. Luckily, OBD Station is the best place for mechanics to receive up-to-date product reviews and industry updates. You can check out our comprehensive reviews on bluetooth OBD2 scanners or other blog posts as well.